Yay, you’re here! Welcome.
Technically, I’m Bernadette.
But unless you’re my mom and you’re mad at me, I go by Berna.
Here’s my face!
I’m sorry/Thanks for looking at it!
BUT WHO ARE YOU, EVEN
I’m a writer, a video producer, a youth advocate, a fairly good auntie and a very easily excitable human. My favorite things include serving and empowering young people, fighting with Adobe Premiere, and falling asleep while playing my ukulele.
Last year, my partner and I finished off over $50,000 in student loans. And to celebrate, we quit our jobs, bought one-way tickets to New Zealand, and are now traveling wherever we want for the whole year.
BUT WHAT DO YOU EVEN DO
I’m currently running all around Asia, backpacking and car camping and Living, Baby. Living.
But also, I’m working on a few personal projects, including:
- Felicia’s Wallet: A Youtube series of personal finance videos for young people.
- Ticket 2 Blog: A podcast with one o’ my fave travel bloggers about how to become a blogger and a traveler without losing your mind or selling your soul.
In my most recent adult life back in the US, I was the Teen Community lead at Instagram. Just before that, I was in New York City working as a teen advisor & teen camp program director (basically a Cool Aunt version of a high school teacher) for the YMCA, and doing freelance writing/video producing when I should’ve been sleeping. My portfolio includes work for Seventeen & Seventeen.com, Glamour & Glamour.com, Shape.com, The Huffington Post, SundanceTV and Scholastic, to name a few.
BUT HOW ARE YOU EVEN USEFUL TO ME
Well, a lot of very kind people have recruited me to do some incredible things.
I’m often asked:
- To produce fun videos. I’ve done ones for travel, education, corporate sponsorships, teen advice, even a few bar mitzvahs.
- To write web articles on topics ranging from flirty Snapchats to bartender etiquette.
- To design youth-focused lesson plans and curriculum, answering questions like “How do we, adults at a major beauty brand, discuss social media with a panel of youngin’z?” or “How could a group of social workers inform NYC teens about their rights when interacting with police?”
- To get lunch and consult upon “what teens are even up to these days” (My personal favorite.)
I’ve also been told I’m really, really good at being happy for you.
If you need me for any of the above, I’d love to hear it!
I overshare the most on my Instagram, FYI. What’s new with you?
And now, for your further stalkage, some semi-recent things about my life:
Forbes.com | 13 Wild Ways These Influencers Saved Money to Travel
Medium.com | Berna Anat: Dishing the Digital Nomad Dirt
That’s What She Said! | Money Talk with Hey Berna
Bari Tessler’s Money Memoirs | How Berna Said Bye Felicia to $50k of Debt
Risen Zine | Listen to the Kids
University of Southern California | Alumna Turned Love of Teen Culture into Top Job at Instagram
Seventeen.com | From Freshman 15 to Seventeen!